What do I do to get my vehicle or personal property back?
Have you been repossessed? You are probably asking “what happens next?”
“How do I get my car back?” “What happens to my personal property?” "Why do I have to pay to get my car or property back?”
The State of California requires repossession agencies to do a number of things that are often considered inconvenient by persons who’ve had their vehicles repossessed, unfortunately they are required.
Here’s how it goes if you wish to redeem your vehicle:
- The FIRST thing you must do is contact your lending institution. Secure your financial arrangements and satisfy their needs to redeem your vehicle. The Repo Company has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR LOAN! Please do not ask us questions about your debt. This is between you and the bank.
Once you have come to an agreement and paid the fees to your lender, then they will provide The Repo Company “a written authorization to release” your vehicle. Without this, there is NOTHING we can do. We cannot influence or expedite this process!!
PLEASE anticipate a FOUR HOUR DELAY from your bank to our office.
2. Next you must obtain a release from the local law enforcement agency.
Why? Upon repossession the agent MUST notify the local law enforcement authority of the repossession. The result of this process creates an entry in "the system" which indicates the collateral has been "repossessed" to remove a vehicle from this status, the registered owner must request this at the law enforcement agency where the report was taken. A $15.00 fee may be charged by that department.
A storage facility (repossession agency) may not release the vehicle, until the registered owner provides proof of payment of the $15.00 fee to the Law Enforcement Agency. The Repo Company requires the ORIGINAL receipt. We will make a copy and return your original.
3. Once The Repo Company has the release is in hand (from your financial institution) , we will schedule your appointment to redeem your vehicle. The Repo Company operates “By Appointment Only”. No EXCEPTIONS!! Our vehicle and personal and personal property releases are scheduled every 30 minutes from 12:30 PM and 4:30PM, M/T-TH/F, except holidays. We are CLOSED Wednesdays!
If you schedule an appointment and fail to show, you will be rescheduled for the following day.
If your release is NOT received by us BEFORE 3:00pm, your release will NOT happen on that day. Our last release is 4:30pm daily. You will not be scheduled an appointment after 4:30pm.
If your circumstances require a time outside our regularly scheduled hours and we cannot accommodate you, an AFTER HOURS OPTION may be available, dependent on our manpower and availability. After hours or special gate fees may be arranged, however a $100 fee will be assessed. This option is based on availability, it is NOT a right of the consumer.
4.Applicable Redemption, Administrative, and Daily Storage fees must be paid prior to all vehicle releases. The redemption & administration fees range from $35-$85.00 depending on your financial institution. Daily storage fees range from $20-$75.00 per day. The fee amount owed will be provided to you over the phone at the time your appointment is scheduled, mostly due to these fees fluctuating per lender and they are often dictated by the lender on the release document.
Redemption & Storage fees are due in exact CASH. We do NOT make change.
We DO accept credit cards, however there is a 3.5% convenience fee added to each transaction. Thank you for your cooperation.
What happens to my stuff? Why do I have to pay to get it back?
1. In accordance with California Law, all Personal Property MUST be inventoried by the agency. WE have no choice in the matter, but we do have up to 48 hours to make this happen. The property must be removed from the unit, inventoried and an itemized list of your property is recorded. The property listed is then stored for no less than 60 days.
California Repossession Agencies are authorized to charge a reasonable fee for the handling and removal of personal property, in addition to a daily storage fee.
The Repo Company charges a minimum of $75.00 fee for the removal and processing of personal property and a minimum of $15.00 daily storage fee (per 3 bags or tub). Your personal effects are secured safely inside our locked facility. If you have more than 3 bags of personal property, or your property requires special handling, you may be charged a higher rate.
"Special handling" may include excessive quantities, soiled clothing, food products, strong odors, food trash or to-go containers, dangerous or hazardous materials, etc. Bio-Hazardous contents are identified and listed as such. Bio-HAZ inventories may include hypodermic needles, human waste, rotting organics, insects, or any bi-products thereof, and the inventory will not be completed. You may not receive any items that have any biohaz contamination.
We are a licensed and bonded facility. We have been in the collateral recovery business since 1995 and WE DO NOT STEAL FROM VEHICLES. Please do not allege that we have. We do not want your property. If you truly feel you have lost property, then you are encouraged to contact our management team and we will do our best to locate your items. If you do not feel we have been helpful, you have the right to file a claim and follow up with law enforcement.
2. Once again, The Repo Company operates “By Appointment Only”. No EXCEPTIONS!!
Our vehicle and personal property releases are scheduled every 30 minutes from 12:30PM and 4:30PM, M-F, except Wednesdays & holidays. If you schedule an appointment and fail to show, you will be rescheduled for the following day. If you would like to reschedule for after hours the same day, a $100 gate fee will be assessed.